Banned Drinkers Register (BDR)

Identifying people who are banned from purchasing takeaway alcohol and stopping their purchase.

The BDR aims to reduce alcohol-related harm and ill-health to individuals and communities impacted by excessive alcohol consumption by restricting access to takeaway alcohol.

A trial of the BDR is underway in the Pilbara, Kimberley, Goldfields, Carnarvon and Gascoyne Junction. Anyone who purchases takeaway alcohol in these regions are required to present photo ID.

The Banned Drinkers Register does not replace current liquor restrictions in place at various locations throughout the State.

Enhanced BDR

Consultation on the proposed legislative amendments closed on 7 November 2022. Majority of respondents were highly supportive of the proposed options to enhance the BDR.

On 2 March 2023, the Minister for Racing and Gaming announced that the State Government will introduce new legislation to strengthen the effectiveness of the Banned Drinkers Register. In addition to establishing the program in legislation, other enhancements include:

  • making the BDR mandatory for all licensed takeaway alcohol premises where the BDR operates
  • expanding pathways for people experiencing or causing alcohol-related harm to be placed on the register
  • giving police powers to seize or dispose of liquor if in the possession of a person who is registered on the BDR due to a Barring Notice or Prohibition Order
  • requiring online liquor retailers to check the BDR before completing the sale.

It is expected that the new legislation will be in place around August-September 2023.

Questions about the BDR?


Telephone (weekdays) 61 8 6551 4859

How to get placed on the BDR

People listed on the Banned Drinkers Register (BDR) are prohibited from purchasing takeaway alcohol because they have either voluntarily elected to be on the BDR, or they are subject to a current Prohibition Order or Barring Notice.

Prohibition Order
issued by the Director of Liquor Licensing on application by the Commissioner of Police (Part 5A of the Liquor Control Act 1988.
Barring Notice
issued by the Commissioner of Police (or Delegate) (s. 115AA or the Liquor Control Act 1988).

Voluntary applications require a person to provide their name, image of their photographic identification (for example drivers licence), date of birth, address and contact phone number to the department by emailing

Removing yourself from the BDR

People are automatically removed from the BDR once their prohibition order or barring notice expires.

People voluntarily on the BDR can apply to be removed, which takes about 2 working days.

Requests to remove a voluntary placement on the BDR require a person to provide their name, photograph, date of birth, address and contact phone number to the department by emailing

Difference between the BDR and the Takeaway Alcohol Management System (TAMS)

The TAMS monitors the amount and type of alcohol purchased by any person in a day to ensure that they do not purchase above limits imposed by restrictions. The TAMS is only used in conjunction with existing restrictions and operates in a similar manner to the BDR with a requirement for identification to be scanned. If the TAMS is in operation, retail staff are required to record the amount and type of alcohol purchased. Licensed premises are linked by the system which stops people shopping around to buy more than they are permitted.

BDR/TAMS technology

The BDR uses software technology to compare details from a scanned photo ID with details on the BDR. The equipment communication is securely encrypted with customer information managed in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

If a person is on the BDR, retail staff are alerted and cannot complete the sale.

Impact on liquor restrictions

The BDR has no impact on any existing liquor restrictions that may be in place — it only prohibits the purchase of takeaway liquor for people who are on the BDR. However, in areas where the TAMS is in operation, takeaway liquor purchases are restricted to the limits imposed by liquor restrictions.

The BDR is intended to be an additional mechanism to help reduce alcohol-related harm in the community.

BDR identification

People wishing to purchase takeaway liquor must produce an approved and scannable form of ID where the BDR is in place.

Current approved forms of identification are:

  • all Australian Proof of Age Cards (includes WA Photo Card and Australia Post Keypass)
  • all Australian drivers licences (or international drivers licences in English showing name, date of birth and photo)
  • all Australian or international passports (ICAO standard).

Full list of approved forms of ID

If you do not have approved identification, you will not be able to purchase takeaway liquor. There are no exemptions to the requirement to produce identification.

You can apply for identification in person at a Regional Department of Transport (DOT) centre or agent, where you will need to supply a combination of five (5) original identity documents to verify your full name, date of birth and current residential address.

Contact a Department of Transport Licensing Centre for a full list of suitable identity documents or for further information on how to apply for photo ID.

If you are registered with the Ashburton Aboriginal Corporation (AAC) they may be able to assist you with obtaining identification.

The department operates a seven day a week helpline to resolve issues as they arise.

Areas the BDR is in effect

The BDR is in full effect in the Pilbara, Kimberley, Goldfields, Carnarvon and Gascoyne Junction.


You can contact the department with any questions about the BDR by email or phone on:

Telephone (weekdays) 61 8 6551 4859

Approved forms of ID

Western Australia

  • WA Drivers Licence
  • WA Extraordinary Licence
  • WA Firearms Act Extract of Licence
  • WA Firearms Identification Card
  • WA Proof of Age Card
  • WA Learners Permit
  • WA Liquor Control Act 1988 Approved Manager
  • WA Photo Card
  • WA Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • WA Working with Children Check.


  • Australian Passport
  • International drivers licences
  • International passports
  • Keypass.


Australian Capital Territory

  • ACT Drivers Licence
  • ACT Drivers Licence Probation
  • ACT Firearms Licence
  • ACT Heavy Vehicle Driver Licence
  • ACT Learners Permit
  • ACT Proof of Age Card
  • ACT Proof of Identity Card
  • ACT Provisional Driver Licence.

New South Wales

  • NSW Drivers Licence
  • NSW Firearms Licence
  • NSW Learner Driver Licence
  • NSW Photo Card
  • NSW Provisional/Probationary
  • NSW Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • NSW Proof of Age Card.


Northern Territory

  • NT Drivers Licence
  • NT Evidence of Age (18 Plus Card)
  • NT Firearms Licence
  • NT Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • NT Proof of Age Card.


  • QLD Drivers Licence
  • QLD Firearms Licence
  • QLD Learners Permit
  • QLD Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • QLD Photo Identification Card
  • QLD Proof of Age Card.

South Australia

  • SA Drivers Licence
  • SA Firearms Licence
  • SA Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • SA Learners Permit
  • SA Proof of Age Card
  • SA Provisional/Probationary.


  • TAS Drivers Licence
  • TAS Firearms Licence
  • TAS Learners Drivers Licence
  • TAS Personal Information Card
  • TAS Restricted Drivers Licence
  • TAS Provisional/Probationary
  • TAS Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • TAS Proof of Age Card.


  • VIC Provisional Licence
  • VIC Drivers Licence
  • VIC Firearms Licence
  • VIC Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence
  • VIC ID Card marine
  • VIC Learner Permit
  • VIC Proof of Age Card
  • VIC Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence.


Help services available in the Pilbara

Alcohol and Drug Support Line

Telephone 1800 198 024 (regional toll-free from a landline)
Telephone 61 88 9442 5000 (metro)

The Alcohol and Drug Support Line is a confidential, non-judgemental telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone seeking help for their own or another person’s alcohol or drug use. You can call any day at any time. Contact with the Alcohol and Drug Support Line is one-to-one with a professional counsellor.

The counsellor who answers your call can:

  • listen to what is going on for you
  • provide you with information about alcohol or drug use
  • provide emotional support
  • talk about treatment options
  • refer you to local services that can provide ongoing support.

Pilbara Community Alcohol and Drug Service — Mission Australia

Freecall 1800 00 55 79

Pilbara Community Alcohol and Drug Service provides individuals and families with free and confidential access to a comprehensive range of alcohol and drugs services from four locations throughout the Pilbara. Outreach to smaller communities happens on a regular basis. Contact offices between 8:30am to 4:30pm to check if your community is visited.

South Hedland PCADS Office

3/7 Tonkin Street (PO Box 3577) South Hedland WA 6722
Telephone 61 8 9174 4800

Karratha PCADS Office

2/1 Sharpe Ave (PO Box 991) Karratha WA 6714
Telephone 61 8 9182 3600

Newman PCADS Office

Newman House 15 Iron Ore Parade (PO Box 108) Newman WA 6753
Telephone 08 9154 3800

Tom Price PCADS Office

Stadium Road (PO Box 116) Tom Price WA 6751
Telephone 61 8 9189 3333

Yaandina Community Services Ltd

56 Hampton St, Roebourne WA 6718
Telephone 61 8 9182 1172

Yaandina offer drug and alcohol treatment services to individuals and communities. The services provide prevention, education, treatment, rehabilitation and aftercare services primarily for Indigenous Australians.

Bloodwood Tree Association Inc 

19 Hamilton Rd, South Hedland WA 6722
Telephone 61 8 9138 3006

Bloodwood Tree provides community-based prevention and alcohol and drug treatment for a primarily Aboriginal client group. Outreach services are provided to surrounding Aboriginal communities.

Help services available in the Kimberley

Alcohol And Drug Support Line

Telephone 1800 198 024 (regional toll-free from a landline) or 61 8 94425000

Kimberley Mental Health and Drug Service

The Kimberley Community Alcohol and Other Drug Service (KCADS) within the Kimberley Mental Health and Drug Service supports individuals, families and communities experiencing harm from AOD use.  Their services are delivered by locally based teams across the Kimberley. Outreach is also provided to surrounding communities and remote areas.


Broome Health Campus, Corner Anne and Walcott Street, Broome WA 6725
Telephone 61 8 9194 2640


Located next to Derby Regional Hospital, Clarendon Street, Derby WA 6728
Telephone 61 8 9193 3605

Fitzroy Crossing

Nindilingarri Cultural Health Services, Fallon Road, Fitzroy Crossing WA 6765
Telephone 61 8 9194 2867


96 Coolibah Drive, Kununurra WA 6743
Telephone 61 8 9166 4350

Halls Creek

19 Neighbour Street, Halls Creek WA 6770
Telephone 61 8 9166 4688

Nindilingarri Cultural Health Services (NCHS)

52 Fallon Road, Fitzroy Crossing WA 6765
Telephone 61 8 9193 0093

The alcohol and drug team at NCHS develop and implement health promotion activities that aim to reduce harm from and use of alcohol and other drugs in the Fitzroy Valley. Together, the team provide family, individual and community education and support sessions for alcohol and other drugs.

Cyrenian House — Milliya Rumurra (Chmr)

Unit 4, 412 Gregory (enter via Pembroke Street) Street, Broome WA 6725
Telephone 61 8 9192 6400

CHMR is a partnership between Cyrenian House and Milliya Rumurra Aboriginal Corporation which delivers alcohol and other drug treatment and prevention services to parts of the West Kimberley region. Our service provides individuals and their families with improved access to alcohol and other drug services on an outreach basis, servicing the communities north of Broome along the Dampier Peninsula and also south to Bidyadanga.

The CHMR team combine their knowledge and resources to bring together local knowledge, Aboriginal ways of working and clinical expertise to deliver treatment services that provide improved health outcomes for Aboriginal People.

Milliya Rumurra Aboriginal Corporation — Alcohol And Other Drug Service

Telephone 61 8 9192 1699

Milliya Rumurra Aboriginal Corporation is an alcohol and other drug service that provides residential and non-residential treatment to Aboriginal people wishing to address their drug and alcohol use. A sobering-up shelter is also available.

Help services available in the Goldfields

Alcohol And Drug Support Line

Telephone 1800 198 024 (regional toll-free from a landline) or 61 8 9442 5000

Goldfields Rehabilitation Services Inc

A holistic and supervised Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Service in an alcohol and other drug free environment for residents over 18 years who have been affected by alcohol and/or other drug dependency.

11 Porter Street, Kalgoorlie WA 6430
Telephone 61 8 9021 4732

Goldfields Community Alcohol and Drug Service

A range of support services including but not limited to counselling (individual and in groups).  The service outreaches to Leonora, Laverton, Kambalda, Coolgardie, Menzies, Norseman, Ravensthorpe and Hopetoun, and supports culturally appropriate and safe practice.


48 Brookman Street, Kalgoorlie  WA  6430
Telephone 61 8 9021 3069


Shop 2, 72 Tower Street, Leonora WA 6438
Telephone 61 8 9037 7661


Page reviewed 11 September 2023